Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Some Things Change, Some Things Stay the Same

Today I was making soup for lunch. (That’s a new one, isn’t it?) As I was cleaning up the potato and carrot peels, I saw a huge tarantula on the kitchen floor next to the garbage can. Usually when I see an insect that creeps me out I put a glass over it and wait for Ran to come home and free it. Well, a glass wouldn’t fit on this sucker so I got a colander and put it over Mr. T and got out of the kitchen. That thing gives me the shivers!

Yesterday I went to the grocery store. I’m getting used to buying meat by the kilo instead of the pound. I also went to the department store to buy some fabric to make curtains for Ryan’s bedroom (we’ll see how that works--- I may just pay someone to sew them for me). I had to remember to measure her windows in meters instead of feet. I’m still converting colones to dollars in my head whenever I shop so I can figure out how much I’m paying!

We finally got a Monteverde phone book. All of the emergency numbers (including 911) are on the first page but it’s a lot easier to navigate than the Austin phone book since it’s just twenty pages long. Some of our friends don’t even have a phone at home. I guess I shouldn’t find dial-up internet access so archaic when I take that into consideration.

Ran and Daniel are in Puntarenas today. They’re shopping for things for the Pension that we can’t get here (or we’d have to pay a lot more for because we’re up here). I hope that Ran will also pick up some hangers and pillows and maybe even a blanket. And a doll for Ryan. There isn’t much to shop for here. I know I keep saying it… it’s true! But this weekend there’s a craft fair at the Friends School. Maybe I’ll find some cool knick knacks or Christmas gifts. I need to get to know more of the community because I think the way to get “stuff” (besides traveling to San Jose or “the States”--- I can’t stand that expression because people would always use it while visiting Hawaii, forgetting that they were in one of “the States”—but enough about me and my issues), is to have people make them for us. Like cool shirts for Ran or sheets that aren’t scratchy and too small for the bed.

Maile is having fun chasing the wildlife and getting into the trash… same old Maile. Yesterday we had at least 20 pizotes in our yard digging through our organics. (Here everything organic gets put out in the compost pile--- not just veggies and fruit. Maile was freaking out so I wouldn’t let her outside. Being the dog she is, she jumped through the window and chased them away. Yesterday and today we also saw an agouti in our yard. It’s an R.O.U.S. (rodent of unusual size--- like in The Princess Bride but not as ferocious). Ryan loves to run outside and look at all of the animals and bugs. She thinks the tarantula is really cool. Thank goodness I’m not raising this child alone… otherwise she’d be a wimp who puts a glass over insects instead of picking them up, declaring them beautiful.

We still haven’t decided if we’re keeping Cotton Candy Ho, Ryan’s new bunny. Clara doesn’t like her and doesn’t look like she’s planning to change her feelings. We aren’t willing to have two bunny cages so they’ll have to learn to tolerate each other (and hopefully eventually love each other) or CCH goes back. In the meantime, Ryan is loving being in a four-pet family. She’s our little Elmyra--- she defines “smother with love”.

Well, there’s no Rotel or Velveeta or soy sauce or canned soup or comfy pillows here. But fear not! When you get here you’ll find: Hershey’s syrup, Pillsbury cake mix, good coffee, great folks, a terrific lifestyle and the Smith gang waiting to show you a good time. Some things never change…

Pura vida

No comments: