Saturday, November 27, 2004

Real Life Has Begun

Well, we’re hotel owners. It took such a long time to get here but we’re thrilled. Ryan worked with Ran for an hour yesterday while I did the grocery shopping for our party. Ryan likes to sit at the reception desk and deliver her standard line, “Do you need anything?”

The party was a success. I was surprised that so many people came. I made Korean chicken (always a big hit), potato salad (thanks, Tonya and Erma) and seven-layer dip (hooray, Teeny). Sabine brought homemade goat cheese… very yummy! I also baked a chocolate cake which was well-received since ovens are rare in Costa Rica. Ryan gathered everyone together so we could sing happy birthday to Ran.

Our house here is spacious enough but we don’t have any furniture yet so the typical thing happened: everyone gathered around the food table, then went outside to hang out and talk. The boys built a fire at the beginning of the evening so it was nice to sit around it as we enjoyed the full moon. Ryan had several costume changes and was a wonderful hostess.

So now it’s Saturday morning. Clara is sitting on my lap (licking my arm) as I type and Ryan is beside me reading me a story in Spanglish. Ryan is getting her second bunny today--- a white one--- and she said she is going to name her Cotton Candy Ho (maybe we can call her Candy or CC or Cotton Candy). Ran is working all day so Ryan and I are going to hang out this morning and do some post-party cleaning. She has art class this afternoon and we’ll head to the Pension tonight to meet Ran after work.

Thanksgiving was uneventful (except for the phone calls) but I think we’ll be able to have a semi-normal Christmas. (I’m going to start decorating the Pension next week.) Of course we’ll have to go out of town to shop for gifts since there’s nothing to buy here… you’ll see when you come.

Well, we can’t wait to see you all! Time to eat a piece of cake. Aah, the good life…

Pura vida



Afternoon update: Clara doesn't seem to like Cotton Candy Ho. Maybe it's the name that turned her off--- she took a huge bite out of Candy's backside. I spent some time applying antibiotic ointment on the wound and we'll just have to see what happens next. Poor CCH must be miserable. I'll keep you posted on life at the Smith farm.

No comments: