Friday, December 17, 2004

Eight Days 'Til Christmas...

... and we're not ready for it! Our house looks a bit more festive, though. Lorena bought us the last strand of garlands in town as well as some Christmas dish towels and an oven mitt. I hung up our stockings and bought a lighted ball ornament at the supermarket. The supermarket is pretty big and you can buy everything there… shoes, underwear, dishes, clocks. The interesting thing is that there’s not a single roll of wrapping paper! All paper is sold in individual sheets. Or you can buy gift bags. Not that it really matters… we haven’t done any shopping yet anyway. Ran did mention that he wants a basketball so hope I can find one at our local department store, Vistosi.

We’re going to try to make it to Cartago for Christmas Eve with Daniel’s family. Then we will be back for Christmas at the Pension with our group of friends. We’re going to have a Secret Santa gift exchange and a nice big dinner. Tamales are the traditional Costa Rican Christmas dish. I hope to have some of those as well as a nice, fat turkey. We’re going to miss your green bean casserole this year, Ryder.

The weeks keep flying by. Ryan had fun at the farm on Wednesday. She played with the bunnies and was so happy to see Cotton Candy Ho again. Then she and Tara rode the ponies and played. When we got home she took a nice, long nap, then we met Ran, Bodi, Shannon, Daniel, and Samantha for dinner at my favorite restaurant, Sofia’s.

We were without a phone the other day. I was talking to Shannon and the line went dead… Clara bit right through the phone cord! And I thought we’d have to worry about the new puppy chewing on things. The puppy is no longer called Brownie Kacrownie. His name changed to Dragon for a couple of days, then Sugar Bear, and now Copper. I think we’re sticking with Copper. (Although “Whiner” would fit him quite well also.) It's hectic having four pets. Maile is the same trouble-making sweetheart she has always been. Moki is his demanding and loveable old self. Copper is loud, loud, loud and frisky! And then there's Clara. Sticking with the theme of mischevious pets, she breaks out of her cage every day. She chews and scratches at the door until the latch loosens, then she pushes it open and runs around the house. This morning she jumped right into bed with me at 5:30 this morning (Ran was already at work). It kind of freaked me out since I didn’t know she could jump that high. But she snuggled right under my arm and started licking me. When I moved my arm, she put her head on my pillow and started licking my face. Before we got Clara I had no idea that rabbits can be such sweet pets with so much personality. I'm trying to get all four pets together (with Ryan) for a Christmas photo but I haven't been able to work that miracle yet.

Yesterday was our last day at CPI. School won’t resume until February so we had a little party in our classroom and invited the two other classes and Samantha (the director… she also works at the Pension two days/week). We played hangman and ate snacks. Then we talked about our holiday plans. It was a fun night.


Ryan and I are going to art class on Saturday and a Christmas program at the Friend's School on Sunday. Ran will be working all weekend and Shannon is in Nicaragua for three days. Then next week Bodi, Ryan and I will head to San Jose to do some shopping. I'll probably be able to post a blog before Christmas but in case I don't... hope it's wonderful! Miss you all!

pura vida





No comments: