Sunday, December 26, 2004

Countdown to the New Year

Yesterday was Christmas. It was a beautiful day in Monteverde. The puppy (his name is now Squirt) didn’t wake us up through the night so we actually slept for the first time since we got him on December 3rd. Ryan woke up at 7:30 declaring it Christmas day so we got out of bed to see if Santa had come during the night. Although we didn’t have a Christmas tree this year (we don’t have a chimney either) he still managed to find us. Ryan got some toys and mints (her favorite) and a tree swing. The swing is so much fun!

We opened gifts and had a relaxing morning. Then Ran pushed Ryan on her swing while I made breakfast. I had a hankering for breakfast tacos (I’ve never even seen flour tortillas— lots of corn, though). I’ve discovered in the short time we’ve lived here that you either live without the things you miss or you figure out a way to make them (or have someone ship ‘em--- thanks girls!). So I made my first ever flour tortillas and we had bacon, egg and cheese tacos. They were great!

After a leisurely morning, Ran left for the Pension. Ryan and I stayed at home to relax and clean up. I spent the afternoon making rice krispie treats, deviled eggs and chocolate cakes (from scratch… I have become a crazy dessert lady). After Ryan’s nap we got dolled up and headed to the Pension with our food and gifts for the Christmas party. It was a huge success! Ran grilled a bunch of meat (with his fantastic secret dry rub) which was the hit of the night. Everyone pitched in with food (mashed potatoes, salad, pasta salad, veggie lasagna…) or money or dishwashing help. All of the employees as well as many friends and guests were there. We had a Secret Santa gift exchange and it was such a fun night. The surprise of the evening was that Daniel’s family (dad, mom, brother, sister-in-law and two nieces) came from Cartago without telling anyone they were coming! They brought gifts and tamales and desserts and were so nice. I wish we spoke more Spanish since they don’t speak any English.

Ran went to work early today. Now he’s doing a canopy tour with Daniel and his brother and sister-in-law, then he’ll go back to work. Ryan is walking around in my shoes and a feather boa and singing to herself. Tonight we’re going to the Pension for dinner (Ran’s grilling the rest of the meat) and a fire show. Ro is a guy who works at the Pension. He spins fire poi balls and two guests at the hotel happen to as well. It should be an interesting night!

Here the supermarket closes at 8. There’s just one gas station. I can’t get a cheesesteak or Chinese food or a real hamburger. But it’s beautiful here and we’re spend a lot of time walking and playing outside. I’m learning to make my own tortillas and the other day I made a sandwich that would give any deli a run for its money. And there are so many great people in this town. We have always believed that it takes a village to raise a child. We had it in Austin and somehow we lucked out again. I can’t wait for you to come experience the tuanis (cool) lifestyle in Monteverde!

Pura Vida

No comments: